Birth Injury Lawsuit Lawyers in Denver, Colorado (CO)
Medical Malpractice, Birth Defects, and Delivery Room Errors in Denver
Having a baby is both exciting and nerve-racking. Expectant parents put their trust in medical professionals to care for mom and baby during the delivery process. Unfortunately, even with modern medical knowledge, training, and technology, many mistakes still happen in the course of births. These errors can lead to tragic results for infants and their families.
When infants suffer injuries in the birth process, families should contact a Denver birth injury attorney. An attorney can help families recover compensation that will help them to afford the necessary treatment and support.
Sometimes, the doctor or nurse may take action that leads to a broken bone that will heal in time, and in other situations, the harm inflicted leads to a permanent injury or disability. Doctors may be well-intentioned and attempt to reposition a baby or otherwise try to move the delivery along, but in the process, tear nerves in the infant, leading to permanent paralysis. If the actions were negligent, the family could collect compensation for the harm done to the infant.
Types of birth injuries include the following:
- Forceps injuries: Doctors occasionally use forceps during deliveries. While this method is approved and might even be necessary, it comes with risks, and if the medical professional improperly performed the procedure, the infant can sustain permanent and disabling consequences.
- Cerebral Palsy: Cerebral palsy is a condition that can impact a person for the entire course of his or her life. Medical errors that occur during pregnancy, delivery, or labor can lead to cerebral palsy. If the infant does not receive enough oxygen, or the physician improperly uses forceps or a vacuum extractor at birth, the baby can develop cerebral palsy.
- Erb’s Palsy: This condition results from an injury to the infant’s brachial plexus, which is a nerve center located in the shoulder. Damage to the brachial plexus can cause paralysis in the limb, atrophy of the arm muscles, and the loss of feeling in the arm. The condition is sometimes treatable but can also cause stunted growth and other life-long complications.
- Shoulder Dystocia: When a delivering doctor or nurse struggles to get an infant’s shoulders out of the birth canal, this can cause severe damage, including various types of palsies, but also brain injury and nerve damage.
- Death: In some tragic cases, infants die because of complications in the delivery room. While these incidents are rare, they still occur more than they should with the medical knowledge and equipment available today.
Many of the conditions caused by medical negligence in the delivery room lead to long term consequences for the infant and the family. The treatment and support needed to address birth injuries can put a financial and emotional strain on the parents and other caregivers.
If your infant suffered injuries in the delivery room, you could collect compensation for the harm the medical professionals caused.
Medical Malpractice Claims against Delivery Doctors
When a doctor causes harm to a baby at birth, the issue is likely the result of negligence. The family of the injured baby can file a civil lawsuit against that doctor or facility alleging medical malpractice and requesting damages. The damages will include compensation for the medical treatment required for the injured infant’s pain and suffering and other related losses. Families providing for disabled infants often need support and financial compensation to provide adequate care for the baby.
For instance, a child with cerebral palsy will likely require a variety of treatments, including medications, occupational therapy, physical therapy, speech therapy, orthopedic surgery, or surgery to cut into nerve fibers.
An Attorney can Help
If your child suffered injuries during delivery or medical negligence, speak to a Denver Birth Injury Attorney from Alhasoon, Glidden & Glidden about your options for recovering compensation. Call our office 24/7/365 at (720) 487-1050 for your free case review today.
5600 S. Quebec Street
Greenwood Village, CO 80111
Telephone: (720) 487-1050
Spanish: (720) 352-0200
Fax: (303) 536-1955
NEW YORK OFFICE
99 New Hempstead Road
New City, NY 10956
Telephone: (917) 363-1607
Fax: (303) 536-1955